Our Preferred Tier 1 Vendor is HP for Switches.
Procurement of Layer 3 Switches
For School Districts procuring layer 3 switches, to integrate school sites into the NGN PLNet infrastructure, the following features are required:
- 1 Gigabit port capabilities
- Spanning Tree Support
- Loop Protection
- VLAN capable
- Multicast Support
The following layer 3 switch features should be considered as they will position
Districts both now and the future:
- Offer and support 24- and 48-port Power over Ethernet (PoE).
- Chassis or stackable switches with a roadmap for 2.5 Gb/5 Gb wired connectivity on existing
- Category 5 enhanced (Cat5e)/Category 6 (Cat 6) cabling to closet switches.
- Ability to detect wired and wireless intrusion.
- Integrated network management for all wired and wireless LAN components.
- Vendor independent for configuration, provisioning and device profiling.
- Include network forensics tools in addition to security functionality.
- Support for voice and video applications by adding features to detect and resolve latency issues that
- result in reduced jitter.
- Awareness and monitoring of voice and video quality, and fixed mobile convergence capabilities.
- The ability to provide managed services when additional IT resources are needed.
- Although the ministry does not direct Districts to procure from specific vendors, it is highly recommended that network switches be procured from a Tier 1 vendor, where Districts can achieve best value and total cost of ownership.
Data Security in the event of asset theft.
New Layer 3 Switch procurement
Roles & Responsibilities
Updated: December 6, 2018 – formatting
Created: January 28, 2016
Technology Services staff education and training